Pastoral Assistant for Faith Formation
Our Lady of Lourdes is a thriving parish in north Vancouver with a historic past within the Archdiocese of Seattle. The parish is a center of reverent liturgy and faithful catechesis, mindful of Christ's mission of evangelization and holding fast to the truths and morals of His Church on Earth. Our Lady of Lourdes leads its parishioners and students toward greater progress in the faith.
All candidates with experience will be considered, although a master’s degree in religious studies or a related field is preferred. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in relational ministry, excellent communication skills, and an engaged, active faith life. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Compensation commensurate with education and experience, in accord with the guidelines given by the Archdiocese of Seattle.
Start Date: ASAP
Archdiocese of Seattle Standard Application (click to download fillable pdf)
2 Letters of Recommendation: 1 Professional, 1 Pastoral
Completed Applications may be emailed to [email protected], faxed to 360-695-0610, or mailed to:
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Parish
Attn: Search Committee
4723 NW Franklin St
Vancouver, WA 98663
POSITION TITLE: Pastoral Assistant for Faith Formation
REPORTS TO: Pastor
I. POSITION PURPOSE
Develops, implements and directs Faith Formation Programs for students in grades K-12 and adults. Plans and facilitates Sacramental Preparation Program in collaboration with appropriate groups or individuals in the parish and/or region.
II. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assures the development and implementation of a comprehensive plan for Faith Formation for all age levels, as delegated by the Pastor.
- Plans and directs the Sacramental Preparation programs (RCIA, RCIC, infant Baptism, 1st Holy Communion, Penance, and Confirmation).
- Plans and coordinates activities (setup, rehearsals, etc) for Sacramental liturgies as required (i.e. - Scrutinies, Baptisms, 1st Holy Communion, Confirmation).
- Ensures that program and Sacramental records are accurately recorded and maintained, following the Archdiocesan policies for Sacramental record retention.
- Leads and is actively involved in the High School Youth Program, which includes planning and fundraising for youth conferences and events.
- Plans, directs, and oversees Adult Education programs.
- Recruits, trains, motivates and provides direction to volunteers & catechists involved with Faith Formation programs.
- Plans, directs, and oversees Marriage Preparation for couples marrying at Our Lady of Lourdes.
- Develops and administers budget for Faith Formation. Assures purchase and allocation of equipment and materials for Faith Formation programs.
III. SECONDARY FUNCTIONS
- Prepares bulletin content, website pages, social media, and correspondence regarding faith formation programs and events.
- Participates in staff meetings.
- Assists in setting up the parish hall as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Pastor.
Applicant must be a practicing Roman Catholic, committed to the teachings and mission of the Church, and to sharing these effectively with others. In addition, a successful candidate will have all or most of the following:
- a Bachelor's Degree in religious education, theology, pastoral studies, or equivalent.
- familiarity with Scripture and basic Church documents regarding catechesis and evangelization, and with evangelizing strategies, programs and technologies.
- experience as a catechetical leader and in directing volunteer catechists.
- a commitment to ongoing professional education and formation.
- understanding of curriculum development.
- ability to inspire and work with volunteers and staff.
- creativity, flexibility, joy and enthusiasm in evangelizing people at all stages of faith development including the unchurched.
- pastoral abilities to help foster an engaged and connected parish community.
- familiarity with a variety of faith formation models.
- ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team.
- strong communication and organization skills.
- ability to utilize social networking tools in ministry.
- proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint.
- working knowledge of (or ability to learn) Parish Data System (PDS) and website tools.
IV. COMPENSATION AND BENIFITS
- Salary and benefits commensurate with responsibilities, experience, and education in conjunction with Archdiocesan guidelines
- Paid vacation days (begins at 10 and add 1 day per year of employment) and sick days (12)
- 10 paid holidays.