Our Next Baptism Class is August 10, 2021 from 6:00-8:00pm
Email Sean Curtis at [email protected] to register
Baptism at Our Lady of Lourdes
To schedule a baptism, please contact Sean
at the Parish Office (extension 306) or at [email protected]
In order to schedule a baptism of a child younger than seven years old, we need:
- A completed Baptism Intake Form. To fill out the form online, please click here.
- A copy of your child's birth certificate. A photocopy or scanned and emailed image will work, or bring an original to the Parish Office and we'll make a photocopy.
Both the intake form and copy of the birth certificate may be brought to the Parish Office or emailed to Sean. Families who are not registered parishioners of Our Lady of Lourdes must also provide a signed letter of permission from their pastor.
Baptisms are scheduled during all regular weekend (Sunday and Saturday vigil) Masses. Most weekends are a available, on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Other items to note:
- Please provide a white garment for your child to wear during the baptism or to change into immediately after.
- We provide families with a baptismal candle, but families may choose to use their own.
- Please plan to arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled Mass time. A baptism attendant will review the Rite of Baptism with you and your family, and answer any questions.
Additionally, parents and godparents are required to take a baptism preparation class, either at Our Lady of Lourdes or at another parish. Classes taken within the last five years will be accepted. If you have taken a class at another parish, please have that parish contact Sean to verify your attendance. A copy of a class completion certificate will also suffice.
Please call the office for the date of our next baptism class. Classes are held in the Pastoral Center.
There is no cost for baptism or a baptismal class at Our Lady of Lourdes.
Godparents must be at least sixteen years old, have received the sacrament of Confirmation, and practice their Catholic faith. A child must have at least one Catholic Godparent. Christians baptized in another denomination are recorded as a "Christian Witness." Parents may choose as many godparents and Christian Witnesses as they wish, but if there is more than one there must be at least one male and one female.
For example, parents can choose...
- A Godmother and a Godfather
- A Godmother and a Christian Witness
- A Godfather
- Two Godfathers and a Godmother
Baptism for Children Seven Years Old and Older
Because these children are a bit older, they need age-appropriate formation before they can receive sacraments. These children and their families join our group that is journeying through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults Adapted for Children, or "RCIC" for short. These families gather together weekly for at least a year. When they are ready, the children are fully initiated into the Catholic Church through the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist at the Easter Vigil Mass. Call Sean at the Parish Office or send him an email to find out how to sign up. The group meets on Sunday mornings, and parents are highly encourage to also attend the meetings.
Baptism for Adults
Adults aged 18 or older who would like to be baptized should call Sean at the Parish Office and inquire about joining the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA). Click here to learn more.